Thursday 13 November 2008

Shikakai Shampoo

I thought I'd tell you about my new shampoo.
Shikakaiis sourced purely from dried pods of the Acacia Shrub.
I mix about a tablespoonful with some water and a few drops of Patchouli or Lavender Essential Oil, apply to my wet hair like a liquid shampoo and rinse.

Ok, now the funny bit. Because it's a powder mixed into a paste it feels a bit weird and a bit gritty actually so at first I wondered if it would actually wash my hair. I gave it a really good rinse and my hair has come out really clean, not squeaky clean - if your hair is squeaky clean it's not a good thing because it means all the natural oils have been stripped away. My hair feels thicker and softer. My only thing is that I am not a morning person and having to make up a paste before getting into the shower is hard work!

I also tried it on my daughter's hair with great results. She has long, blonde hair, half way down her back. Now I didn't use a conditioner for my hair because it's shorter and it didn't feel like I needed it but for my daughter I used some Cassia which is sourced purely from dried leaves of the senna plant. I mixed up about 2 tablespoonfuls with water and a bit of essential oil and made a paste. It feels really strange, like slime and it's green. Fab! I was a bit cautious at first but once I'd put it on her hair and then after about 10 minutes we rinsed - really stunning - so soft and easy to comb.

Best part is that I was able to shampoo and condition without use of chemicals! My hair care products, shampoo, conditioner and hair dye are all completely natural!

No comments: